Friday, August 27, 2004

Laying Plans

Right now I am optimistically ignoring the theorem that work will expand to take up all the time between when you start it and when it needs to be done. (I believe there is a corollary about procrastination leading to work-contraction.) And so I have planned that before I leave the office today, I will take care of all the teaching-related things that need to get done for Monday. Revising the lesson plans, checking off the homework, writing the quiz: all that. And I will bring none of it home.

My great plans for the weekend involve writing and submitting an abstract for my talk at the Joint Mathematics Meetings in January. I like the organizers of the session and feel obligated to get my abstract done ASAP even though the deadline is a few weeks off. Also I'm hoping to think of a good problem to work on next because the one that I had been working on is just way too hard for me to make any more progress on it. I'm totally stumped. But I'm absolutely terrible at finding questions to work on and I have no sense of what is a doable problem and what is too hard.

Then there is the issue of the weeds. Really I need to accept the fact that I can not do everything that I want to or plan to and just hire a landscaper or put gravel down over the entire lot or otherwise admit it: I am a terrible gardener. Even my houseplants would run away if they were not potbound. I am trying to decide whether it's worth it to try to fix up the gardens or if I should just buy a couple of gallons of Round-Up. [Insert your own snarky comment relating this to American foreign policy.] Of course if it's hot out I'd much rather do math than work in the garden (which is how it got this way).