Wednesday, August 11, 2004

A New Look and New Colors

No, not for the blog. For the garage.

I’ve been forced to hide in my office to get some work done. The painter is at my house, painting my garage.

Normally when someone is hired to work on the house he is a rugged, middle-aged man who has worked in the building trades for a long time. He drives a pick-up truck. His end of a conversation is usually limited to, “yup,” or, “nope,” or maybe, “I’d use an oil-based on that, but you can use a water-based if you want.”

In contrast, the painter drives a beat up old Japanese car. He has a ponytail. He is going to vote for Kerry, he says, but for every other office on the ballot he is going to vote Green. When asked, “Is it mildew?” about a spot on the garage, he replied, “No, it’s algae. You can tell because it’s green. If you looked at it under a microscope you would see a filament structure. Or I guess it could be a cyanobacteria. But I think those only live in ponds.” He has a lot to say about a lot of things.

So I spent all of yesterday’s daylight hours in my office learning enough about CSS to make a very lovely web page for my course. Today I have a few busy-work tasks that I can do here. Lucky for me it’s supposed to rain this afternoon.