Saturday, November 20, 2004

Early Morning Computer Rant

Since I woke up at 5:30am on a Saturday and couldn't get back to sleep, I decided to try to update my web page at school and to bring my course web pages up to date. (Horrible feedback loop: since they are out-of-date the students will never check them, so I have no incentive to work on them. The plan was to turn them into static pages for next semester's courses.)

Oh my fucking god, one small setting on the emacs on the math department server is driving me completely insane, and I have made close to zero progress. Instead of backspace deleting to the left of the cursor, it deletes to the right. (Secret message: I had a bad experience with vi in 1991 and now refuse to use it.) You know how there's that line of inverted dashes near the bottom, the one that starts sort of like
----:---F1 filename.html
Well, with the emacs on the server, it's like
-uu-:---F1 filename.html

And due to the excessive documentation, there is no way I was going to find what I was looking for. Since the emacs on my home computer works just fine, I briefly considered downloading and installing X11 because I had some vague memory of sometime in the past being able to edit code on a distant computer while using the emacs on the workstation on my desk.

But then I gave up and made another cup of coffee.