Friday, March 04, 2005

Stay of Execution

The pre-service teachers have received a reprieve; I have delayed their second exam from Monday to Wednesday. Now it will coincide with my other classes' midterm -- and my rescheduled interview.

Based on the work that I've been seeing since the first exam, I am expecting a bimodal distribution. The class has broken into three distinct camps: the students who are willing to do the work necessary to meet my expectations and who are capable of doing it, the students who are willing to do the work necessary to meet my expectations but who are incapable of doing it, and the students who aren't willing to do the work. I feel bad about that middle group -- bad advising has put them in an impossible situation.

Secret message for any students reading this: when you receive a 4-problem-long assignment on February 23 and it's due March 4 and you don't ask any questions during the intervening 9 days about the problems that you can't do, writing "I don't know how to do this!" in response to one of the problems will probably lead to you receiving a grade of C or lower. Just sayin'.