Thursday, May 26, 2005

Guys in Cars

(...and in trucks, SUVs, and even minivans.)

And here we have yet another reason to wear sunglasses while walking: avoiding eye contact with strange men. This is a peculiarly summertime phenomenon. I walk to Kroger throughout the year (although, admitedly, more often during nice weather), but this only happens during the summer.

Most often they'll honk. Or yell wordlessly out the window. Or maybe a little of each. These are the less alarming guys -- and easier to deal with. As I see it, there are two main options: ignore (current tactic) or rude hand gesture (not my style).

The more disturbing guys are the ones who pull over and ask me if I need a ride. (The most disturbing of these was last year. I was walking down a one-way street, and he came around the block to offer me a ride.)

This evening when I was walking to Kroger to get a doughnut (mmm... doughnut), two different groups of guys did the honk and yell thing. I always wonder what they're thinking.