Sunday, May 22, 2005

If You See My Friends, Tell Them to Visit

Star Wars was seen, more food was eaten, and my friend has returned home -- to Gentleville, of all places. Were he not entering his last academic year there, I would enlist Profgrrrrl to help find him a girlfriend. (Of course it's certainly possible that he has one but who was not mentioned.) But since he's on the job market this year and on his way out, I'm not going to invest meddling capital in that project. (If I were a villain on Batman, I would be The Meddler.)

It had been so long since I'd seen him that all my witty banter was fresh, and I was able to be clever and amusing (or at least I thought so!). Instead of making friends in this town, maybe I just need existing friends to show up at random intervals. Social situations are so much simpler when they're neatly compartmentalized.

I concur with the general consensus about the Star Wars movie. The only thing I have to add is that the plot elements were so blatant that it might be pedagogically sound to show it in 9th grade English classes. (WHUMP! What's that hitting you over the head? That would be the tragic hero archetype.) I would have much preferred watching Star Wars to reading many of the books that were assigned in 9th grade.

In any case, a pleasant enough start to the weekend.