Saturday, August 20, 2005

Movie Watching

The other day I saw Word Wars. It was OK. I liked the book Word Freak better.

Last night I watched Zero Day. You can tell that it's a low budget independent film, but it's very well made for a low budget independent film. I found it very, very, very weird and disturbing, but you would probably find it less so. This is because I went to school with many of the guys who made it. The associate producer was friends with my little brother in elementary school. The producer/writer/director was friends with some of my friends; we sometimes ate lunch at the same table. His older brother, who co-wrote and acted, was in my class and was also friends with some of my friends. (When I watched the "making of" clips, I was surprised at how stable he seemed; he was always a really weird kid, and even in elementary school back in the late 70s/early 80s he was on meds.) One character's eighth grade teacher had the same name as my eighth grade teacher. Other people mentioned in the film had the same last name as people I knew. So it was really quite strange to see people who I knew from high school making a film about two kids who carry out a Columbine-style attack on their high school.