Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Hiring Your Boss

My department is in the process of searching for an outside Head, and our second candidate is here today.

It's a strange dynamic and somewhat hard to balance: How to challenge the candidates to reveal what we want to know without alienating them. And then this is further complicated by the very real fact that the new Head's vision can seriously affect my job. There isn't enough money in the budget to replace all of us low-paid folks with big name hotshots, but some of us could be replaced by machines.

And as I talk to candidates I have to keep reminding myself that it's not just how I relate to them but also my perception of how they might interact with the Dean and the Chancellor's office. This is very hard to judge, as we've been going through administrators at a rapid clip lately, and I don't know much about the current bunch.

Watching this search process reminds me that I really should do something about learning a marketable skill.