Thursday, June 22, 2006

More Fun With Statistics

Since I did so well with my previous project I have taken on a new task.

Previously my independent variable was a whole number between 0 and 44 and my dependent variable was a rational number between 0 and 100. I was able to model the situation linearly and draw some conclusions.

Now I have to deal with data reported somewhat differently. Still have the input being a whole number between 0 and 44. Now the outputs are categorical with eight possible categories related by a partial ordering. Seven of the categories are in a linear ordering. The remaining one is comparable to five of the linearly ordered categories (it is less than all of them) but can not be compared to the other two.

Really what I want to make is a 3D histogram, but I don't know if my aesthetic sense can handle it.