Friday, September 01, 2006

I Told You So

[Ed note: We can't really enforce placement. We can just be scary and threatening.]

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:37:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: hirta@math.xxx.edu
To: astudent@xxx.edu
Subject: Math Placement Appeal

Dear Ms. Student:

I've reviewed the information that you've submitted to the Math Department. I would strongly encourage you to follow the placement guidelines and to enroll in Intermediate Algebra for the fall semester. Students who score at your placement level who enroll in College Algebra typically complete the course with an average below 70%, leading to a grade of NC (No Credit). This would put you behind in your program.

Should you decide to ignore the Department's advice and to take College Algebra, please be sure that you fully investigate your options for free tutoring and for hiring your own private tutor. Our experience shows that students at Level 1 often need a great deal of outside support if they expect to pass with a C.

-Dr. Hirta

***

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:40:23 -0400
From: astudent@xxx.edu
To: hirta@math.xxx.edu
Subject: Math Placement Appeal

Dr. Hirta,

I came by your office today because my mom said you told me I should. Unfortunately, you were out to lunch. I have been to all of my math classes this week and I feel that I have the ability to do well in the course. I am taking College Algebra. I know that my scores on the test do not reflect my skill level. If you still need me to come by your office, I would be happy to come by on Monday. What is a good time? Thank you so much and sorry for the confusion.

-A. Student

***

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:00:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: hirta@math.xxx.edu
To: astudent@xxx.edu
Subject: RE: Math Placement Appeal

Dear Ms. Student:

You may continue with College Algebra; however, be aware that this is against the recommendation of the Math Department. Should you do poorly in this course, your lack of preparation will not be considered sufficient grounds for filing a grade appeal.

-Dr. Hirta

***

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 15:56:29 -0400
From: astudent@xxx.edu
To: hirta@math.xxx.edu
Subject: RE: Math Placement Appeal

Dr. Hirta,

I have gone to my math classes this week and have realized that I can not do the work required to make the grade I would like. I need to switch to Intermediat Algebra. I felt so confident last week, but this week is a different story. I am so sorry that I have been so much trouble. I looked on Registrar Online, but their is only 1 section available from 630-745 PM on MW and I unfortunately have a Chem lab until 635 on Wednesdays. Is there any way that I can get into another section? I can come meet with you tomorrow if needed. Thank you so much for your help.

-A. Student