Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Plain White Paper Experiment

Early returns are in: By requiring my calculus students to do their homework on plain white paper, I have greatly increased both the neatness of the homework submitted AND the staple compliance.

Most people were skeptical: Neater on paper without lines? The answer is YES YES YES. Any minor slant in the writing is well compensated by them writing larger and leaving more white space than they would on lined paper.

Better yet: now that my students no longer do their homework in their spiral notebooks during their previous class, I no longer have to deal with furry edges!

I'm going to insist on plain white paper from now on. It's cheap enough that I don't feel bad requiring it. Plus it can be stolen from just about any printer on campus.