Monday, October 30, 2006

My Day at Work

  1. Fall Back had my students up early, too. My inbox had messages sent at 5am from students who were going to miss class today. One is sick and wanted to know if there was any way to get the notes. (Yes, ask one of your classmates.) The other was vague about being an "emotional wreck" and unable to attend today for a variety of reasons. (Get in touch with me when you're feeling up to it, and we'll see if it's possible to work something out.)

  2. When it rains it pours: A guy in my class explains his recent absenses because his wife is pregnant and he's having sympathy symptoms. (Doesn't matter why you're sick. Everyone gets reasonable compassion. Paperwork is required for special treatment.)

  3. My honors students happily made Mobius strips, cut them up, colored them, counted features on their generalizations, and conjectured.

  4. No one has yet said anything about all the homework that has not yet been graded.

  5. Hopeless: Today we were checking for convengence at the endpoints of the interval of convergence and I simplified
    (-1)n (-1)n+1/(n+1) = (-1)2n+1/(n+1) = -1/(n+1), and one student didn't get either step in the simplification. Say it with me: You can't do calculus if you can't do algebra.

  6. Sent out a memo using the same numbered list format that I prefer for blog entries.

  7. Held a meeting in a room where my key no longer opens the door. Taught a grad student how to use a butter knife to get into the room without a key.

  8. My office computer has now gone 87 days without rebooting

  9. Book buyers came by! $70 of free money! Yay!