Friday, November 10, 2006

Setting the Stage for Probability

Didn't really have much of a plan for introducing probability today. Doesn't help that some of my students know more statistics than I do, so they already know something about probability. (Yes, I'm teaching freshmen. Let that sink in for a second.)

So what did we do? Mostly we focused on coin-flipping. I talked about the first scene in the play Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. We flipped a virtual coin 1000 times. We spun pennies and stood them on edge. Looked at the table generated by John Kerrich when he was in prison and flipped a coin 10,000 times. Talked about how when actual people flip actual coins that there is some bias. We also did the birthday problem and looked at the set-up for the Monty Hall problem.

I suppose that this means that on Monday that I will have to calculate something.