Monday, February 19, 2007

Once Again the People I Work With Suspect that I Am Competent

Rumor has it that I'm going to be asked to organize a Math-Ed conference taking place next year.

Doesn't seem to matter that I'm not real up to date about the current research environment in Math-Ed so I'm not really sure what I should pick as the theme or who I should invite as speakers. Probably that doesn't matter too much. I'm guessing that most of the effort in organizing it will relate to reserving rooms, confirming orders with caterers, and keeping track of the budget.

If this pans out and if someone else's crazy plan to get me involved in converting some of our low-level courses to distance learning comes to fruition, I will be so over-loaded on service that it isn't even funny. Too bad service isn't as glamorous as research. It would be nice to have some qualities that would give me leverage to negotiate for a raise.