Thursday, May 10, 2007

Embarrassment of Riches

Too many exciting things on tap for Fall 2007:
  1. I'm slated to teach the honors gen-ed course again. I'm reluctant to plan too big, lest it get cancelled. I'm thinking grand themes and ambitious projects. Maybe even a field trip, as the Provost sent us an email pleading us to make use of more of the campus's cultural offerings in our courses.

  2. For the first time ever, I will be teaching the 250-student large lecture calculus. Hoping that I can make it a smashing success and be allowed to do it every semester. Big plus: since the math building doesn't have any lecture halls, this class is already in the regular rotation of "good rooms outside of the math building", meaning that if I keep this class, I won't be teaching in a basement supply closet when the math building is getting the gut-and-remodel treatment in 2008.

  3. Independent study student! Crazy things afoot this fall. He's already making a list of things that we need to do, most of it quite exciting. Yet, possibly, time-consuming. Extra plus: Excited and motivated independent study student is buddies with the Provost.

  4. Been invited to propose a one-credit-hour, moderately free-form seminar for the honors program. Ironically, while my faculty rank is too low to be allowed to propose a seminar for the hoi polloi, it's fine for me to lead an in-depth and intellectually engaging seminar for the honors students. The seminar needs to involve reading, writing, research, and critical thinking (and innovative and "outside the box" pedagogy). Not sure what to propose as a topic.

  5. I'm going to be working in the advising center next year. Most people hate working in the advising center, but I'm looking forward to it. It will be a chance to meet people from other parts of campus. Plus, we get so many poorly advised students showing up in the wrong math classes, that maybe I can help make a dent in that. Or, at the very least, I can turn unsuspecting freshmen into pawns and poorly advise them into the courses of the worst offenders. (Kidding!)