Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Freaking Out

Ack!

Ack! Ack! Ack!

I leave in just over two weeks for my 6+ week summer job at MIT.

So many unanswered questions.
  1. How much will fit in my suitcase? Will I be able to bring everything that I want? Should I bring two books (Lie Groups) or three (Lie Groups + sketchbook, or Lie Groups + computer programming book)?

  2. Logistics!? All I know is that on the 20th that I'm supposed to fly to Boston and then get a cab to a certain address in Cambridge. That's it. Seriously, that is ALL I KNOW.

  3. Will I be any good at my summer job? I've lusted after this job for years. This is the third time that I've applied for it.

  4. How much stuff from my regular job am I going to have to deal with? I think that I have the calculus enough under control (and I'm hoping that the publisher will hook me up with the e-book so that I can revise the homework assignment list) and that the rest of it is wingable. But the weird problems that might crop up with summer school... Eek.

  5. How will I pay my bills when I'm out of town? Normally I'd ask The Topologist to look after this, but he's going to be away for about three weeks himself.

  6. Internet? I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have an account that works in computer labs. Will those credentials allow me to register my laptop's wireless card on MIT's network? Will I need to go find a guy I kinda know who is known for working minor computer miracles and get him to finagle something?

  7. What the hell am I going to eat!? I am sort of a fussy eater. But in a weird way. I am happiest when I eat the same well-understood foods every day. I am so freaking out that 6+ weeks of eating mysterious foods will make me fat. (OK, really I am thinking "fatter.") These days I am down to eating six categories of foods. Related question: How will I deal with not going to the gym for 6+ weeks. Heck, what about my physical therapy exercises?