Thursday, June 07, 2007

In Which I Respond to the Social Dynamics of a Committee with Defensive Behaviors

Somehow I found myself on the planning committee for Regional Conference. Every meeting so far has been dominated by one person, a co-organizer of the conference whose research area is not Conference Topic. I wonder why I was asked to be on the committee if the co-organizer wasn't planning on listening to any of the suggestions being made. It's not just me: other people have made suggestions that have been ignored, too. Those of us being ignored are much more representative of the intended audience for the conference than the co-organizer is.

We're having another meeting this afternoon.

At the end of the last meeting, we were given a list of speakers that the co-organizer had identified as people to invite and were asked to research these people on the internet so that we could discuss them further. (No one else's suggested speakers made it onto the list.)

I didn't even bother to write down the names. I'm not going to do my "committee homework." I'm not going to have anything productive to contribute at the meeting. Maybe I'll even show up late. Passive Aggressive.