Thursday, July 26, 2007

Notes from My Work-Life Out-of-Balance

  1. Had a migraine yesterday. Sucked. Today I ate lunch with Dr. Memory. He developed a migraine. Who knew that they were contagious? Either that or else the change in the weather that came in yesterday plus the fact that all of us have been worked to the point of stress exhaustion may have something to do with it. I offered him some of my somewhat expired Vicodin, but he declined.

  2. Damned if you do, damned if you don't: When I don't delegate a task and just do it myself, the minions are miffed that I don't trust them to do it. When I delegate, they don't always come through, and then I have to do it myself at the last minute.

  3. Delegation-squared: I assigned a task to someone who outsourced it to someone else who is getting married this weekend. We'll see how well it gets done. I did my part of it WAY EARLY. They are doing their part in an ingenious and clever way that I could never do myself. But if they don't get it done on time, it's not clear that it's better than my ad hoc solution.

  4. Wedding-times-two: This weekend I'll be out of town for my cousin's wedding. You should call me between 8pm and 9:30pm on Saturday night, and I will tell my family that it's very important and that I need to take your call. I'm bringing my laptop to the wedding because I really do have that much work to do. I don't have time to spend 12 hours traveling, and, yet, my mother has used her force of will to compel me to attend, just like she has done for every stupid family event. Remind me to stay home this Christmas.

  5. Progress continues on my manuscript. I don't think I told the blog that I'm collaborating with Low Boundaries Guy. Unless he's lying to me about the progress that he's making, we should be OK at hitting the first two deadlines without much last-minute work. Beyond that, it's hard to tell.

  6. The Big Boss is in from the Home Office. I need to figure out which dress to wear to her event this evening.

  7. Trouble brews with our uneasy relationship with an office here at MIT. We're trying to schedule a meeting. The only two options seem to be early morning (we prefer) or the weekend (undergrads prefer, but I can't do: see family wedding). I'm going to need to prepare talking points.