Monday, November 26, 2007

I'm Actually Shocked That It Took This Long to Happen

I just got my first email of the semester from the parent of one of the students in the Calculus Circus!

Seems very reasonable. Parent is concerned. Parent is not blaming me. Parent seems to be blaming a mix of external circumstances and how the student is dealing with them.

Never, ever, ever do I get emails out of the blue from parents telling me how wonderful the kid is doing in my class and how much the kid loves math. Never happens.

I think that I'll wait until tomorrow to respond. I'd like to check my gradebook first. While I can't discuss the student's grades with the parent, I do want to know what sort of situation this is before I try to handle it. Passing but unhappy calls for different strategies than dismal failure.