Thursday, November 01, 2007

Until Someone Invents Self-Grading Calculus Exams, I'll Be Busy

Quick notes:
  1. Kids these days! Back in my day, the TAs graded 120 calculus exams by the next day. Will my 250 exams be graded by Tuesday? Only time will tell. Also note: I'm doing more grading than any of the TAs. And still they complain.

  2. Worked in advising today.

  3. One student overcame many barriers to success and plans to graduate within a year. It's too bad that we can't have students like this around to give frank talks to struggling students.

  4. Another student was undecided and was considering a major in psychology because it's the default major that's pushed on uninspired students. I put in a plug for social work. Similar requirements but a much smaller department. Fits with the student's interest in working with and helping people.

  5. Everyone's making all these pledges to do all this writing in November. If I can keep up with my normal responsibilities and finish knitting the socks I'm working on (I know, I need to update my project list because it is woefully out of date), I'll consider it a victory.

  6. I was caught by surprise with a circumstance under my supervision. One of those "this is either absolutely brilliant or else it's totally fucking crazy" situations. I'm hoping for brilliant.

  7. The calculus exams still have not graded themselves. I must return to them soon and boggle at my students' inability to factor 3x2 - 4x + 1. There's really only one thing to try since 3 is prime, 1 is positive, and -4 is negative. But, of course, it's much easier to make up your own rules and to solve 3x2 - 4x + 1 = 0 with the half bogus x = 1 and x=-1. Some people just don't appreciate the properties of integral domains.