Friday, December 21, 2007

Slumming

It appears that for the next week or two that blogging (and scrabulous) will greatly tax the limited resources of the 4.5 year old iMac that normally hums along as a print server. (If my printer had ethernet, the iMac would be unemployed.) When it ceases to function, I will probably replace the iMac with an AirPort Express (which can cover its printing duties without taking up desk space).



It was your typical Genius Bar experience. Genius #1 checked my energy savings settings to see if I'd told the computer to shut itself down at arbitrary times. I hadn't. He sought the help of the more skilled Genius who eventually suspected logic board. I think that Genius #2 might have been flirting with me, but I couldn't be sure. For those of you keeping track at home, while under warranty my MacBook has had: hard drive died, bad battery, and now a possible bad logic board. If she keeps this up, I'll be zipping along with the Core 2 Duo and Wireless N within a year.

Conspiracy Theory of the Week: With MacWorld coming up and New! and Exciting! products to be unveiled, secret signals emerge from Cupertino and attack the hardware of early adopters causing us to doubt the loyalty of our machines and to contemplate replacing them with Shiny! New! toys.