Sunday, January 06, 2008

It's Been Quite a Whirlwind the Past Few Days

  1. Friday night I got a phone call from the Apple Store. My new laptop was ready! I could pick it up that night! And there was much rejoicing.

  2. In some ways, I miss the old laptop. She was the most fantastic computer that I'd ever owned. Except when she was broken. Which was a lot, when you think about it. It's kind of like how you (and by "you" I mean "me") stay with a bad boyfriend even when you should get out. (In this case, the role of K. is being played by Apple Computer, if you need to follow-through the analogy as much as you can before it falls apart.)

  3. Up too late getting the computer ready means that I didn't have as much time as I would have liked for packing and sleeping. Means that I just threw jeans, t-shirts, etc. into a bag and went with it.

  4. Flight out (part 1): A Prairie Home Safety Announcement. Regional jet with a Minneapolis-based flight crew. "In the event of a loss of cabin pressure, oxygen masks will be released from the panel above your seats. Put the mask over your nose and mouth and adjust the straps. Be sure to put your own mask on before helping others. Also be sure to have a supply of quarters, as oxygen is 25 cents a minute. That's a joke." When I fly the mainline carrier, I'm impressed at how professional the flight attendants are compared to the contract carriers.

  5. Flight out (part 2): Sat next to one of the most poorly behaved children, ever. The old people sitting nearby were encouraging her and found her antics cute. Her mother couldn't control her. There is no world in which it is appropriate for your child to use markers to color all over the seatbelt latch, the tray table, and other parts of the airplane.

  6. Met up with the most essential people. Ate sushi.

  7. This morning I went to a talk by a charasmatic Canadian. In stereotypical Canadian style, he apologized by about the time that he reached the second slide (he was sorry that he was definining one of the terms he was using). He carried the talk of masterfully in an informal style that few people can do. A hard act to follow. How could I stay and watch more talks after that?

  8. Re-grouping, re-planning, and hunting for a snack.