Monday, January 21, 2008

Weird Nigerian Spam

Instead of scanning the mind-boggling solutions to the homework that I graded yesterday, I will instead tell you about the wacky Nigerian spam that I got this morning.

It came from the Hotmail account of a student who had emailed me almost two weeks ago about the possibility of getting into a full class. We talked about the strategies of waitlists and whatnot, and I hadn't heard from her since. Until this morning when I got Nigerian spam sent from her account and signed with her name. The email claims that the sender is in Africa as part of a program called "Empowering Youth to Fight Racism, HIV/AIDS, Poverty and Lack of Education" and recounts a tale of woe requiring money to be sent to Nigeria.

Seems that the Nigerian spammers have figured out how to get into people's Hotmail accounts and to send email to everyone in their address books. According to the internet, this has been happening a bunch with Hotmail.