Monday, March 17, 2008

The Real Issue With My Home Renovation

Here's the real reason that I'm somewhat uptight about spending in the five-figures (more than I paid for my car!) on fixing up my house. Taking off the vinyl siding and remediating several decades' worth of neglect (and the ugly that goes with them) that was hiding under the siding is not the sort of renovation where you can get your money back when you sell the house. There was nothing wrong with the house, per se, just that vinyl siding in a historic neighborhood is ugly. The vinyl could have stayed on for years with no ill effects -- other than not being to my tastes. Many, many, many people (including my parents) think that I am crazy for having the vinyl siding taken off and having the house painted. My parents and grandparents saved up to pay good money to have aluminum (or vinyl) siding put on their houses. (Oh, the other issue is replacement windows. Which I refuse to get.)

Now what this really means is that the chances of my moving back to California in the near future have been diminished somewhat. Never mind that I have no idea what I would do for a living if I moved to California. But I've been saving money with an eye towards a down payment on a house in California.