Monday, January 19, 2009

What Keeps me Away from my Blog

No, it isn't any of the exciting work I have planned in which I will wow people with nifty knitting or use the amazing data I have to solve the math department's problems.

I've been working on my computer science homework, and over the past few days I've written over 500 lines of somewhat awkward code. The last time that I had to write any sort of serious code in C was when I worked for the government, and that was a while ago.

I'm now at the point where I'm writing the test cases to show that my program responds appropriately to input files -- both correctly and incorrectly formed ones. This assignment was about setting up a family tree and checking for various situations forbidden by the specification.

Here's the output of my first test case:
ERROR: Child Heather cannot have two mothers (Kate, Jane)