Sunday, February 01, 2009

At the Party Last Night

  1. The Topologist didn't come with me. Real reason is that he hates parties. The convenient excuse given when asked why he didn't come with me is because he is very, very, very allegic to cats. While yes he is go-to-the-emergency-room-allergic to cats, and yes the party took place at a house with roughly two cats, the party-hating thing was a much bigger deal to him.

  2. Remember how my new office faces the building next door? Was introduced to someone who works in the building next door and who exclaimed, "I see you from my office!" Also revealed, she is dating someone in the math department. Strange choice of diction: instead of referring to the person she is dating as a "grad student" she said "doctoral candidate."

  3. More than once I found myself thinking, "Are you really flirting with me with your wife standing just a few feet away?" I will assume that humanities people give off different social signals than math-science people and that I was misinterpreting things.

  4. We're all getting old. It started early and ended early. But a good time was had by all.