Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tuesday Omens

  1. Woke up at 4am. Fussed around a bit wasting time until 5am. Went back to bed. Slept in until 9am. Was late to my 10am office hours.

  2. The online weather promises rain. It is clear and sunny. Apprehensive about the alleged rain.

  3. Keep getting caught up in stupid details on the computer science homework. String handling. Formatting times. That sort of thing. The problem no longer interests me now that I grasp the big idea.

  4. The required testing of the computer science homework once again requires a shell script which I still don't know how to do.

  5. Email from TA alleges that debugging will be faster if one writes all the test cases ahead of time because one won't have to keep typing things while testing by hand. This neglects that much of my debugging requires diagnosis and deciding what to type in order to determine what is causing the undesired behavior. If I knew why it didn't work, I probably wouldn't have done it that way to begin with. My errors are usually much bigger than simple typos.

  6. I'm not the only one with cheating students. Advised someone dealing with a border-line suspicious case. The final will have multiple versions and assigned seating.

  7. Dealing with failing calculus students who are contacting me for the first time all semester. Where were you in January?