Friday, October 09, 2009

Double Calculus

I taught as much calculus today as I usually teach in a week!

I covered The Topologist's classes. The early class was honors students doing a worksheet.* Some of them were irritated that when we went over the problems I made them give complete answers. They would tell me that r1/r0 = 2/3, but then I would make them tell me what that means and why we could use that to conclude that it would take two more hours for the snowball to melt.

The second class was regular (real) calculus. This was the most docile calculus class that I've ever met! I don't think they believed me when I told them about how absolutely amazing the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is.

At the end of class, I got to hand back their exams. They weren't expecting me to have the exams, so they weren't distracted during class waiting to get them back.

Can you believe this grade distribution? Way more normal than anything that comes out of my class. Skewness of 0.03.



From the "don't kill the messenger" files: There was a student who was complaining to me about the exam and hir grade.


*This was an honors worksheet. Three problems. They spent two full days of class working on it.