Wednesday, December 23, 2009

My Newest Project

Lately I've been starting to obsess about renovating my kitchen. My kitchen has 189 square feet of the most awkwardly arranged space that you can imagine. And, as I mentioned in the last post, it has four doors, which limits the number of places that you can put stuff. Here's the outline of the kitchen.

No sketch will do justice to the weird alcove, so I'm including a picture. This is the area in the lower-left of the diagram. The wall in front of and below the microwave (the wall that connects to the floor and then goes about half-way up) is the 4'2" wall in the lower-left of the diagram. The shelf that the microwave is sitting on is about 33 inches deep. Behind this weird microwave-shelf is the door that leads from the backyard to a set of stairs into the basement. I went downstairs to try to take pictures of the microwave area from the other side, and there was no way to fully document its extreme weirdness. Also, in the weird alcove you can see that the ceiling height follows the roof line to some extent. Right above the horrible, non-original, non-historic window the ceiling hits its low point of eight feet. In most of the kitchen, the ceiling is 9'6". I am willing to have the horrible window removed in the interests of having a well-designed kitchen.

Any ideas where I should put things in my kitchen? The walls can't move. Most of the doors can't move. The door to outside could be replaced with a wall, but then The Topologist would probably want to keep his bicycle in a different room that has an outside door. I didn't take a picture of this because I couldn't get the light right, but the floor in the kitchen doesn't go all the way to the walls. At night if you turn off the lights in the kitchen and turn on the basement lights, you see light coming up from behind the cabinets. And the subfloor from the weird alcove extends to outside, forming the top step leading outside the door. So, um, yeah I'm going to have to hire professionals who know what they're doing to renovate my kitchen. I suspect that labor costs are going to dwarf material costs by a very, very, very, very, very large margin. Since I hate vacations, I figure I can budget several years worth of vacations that I'm not going to go on to instead spend on my kitchen.