Friday, January 22, 2010

The Dangerous Parking Garage

There are people in my department who are afraid of the parking garage. They don't like to walk there alone, especially in the evening. Apparently this is a fairly common fear that I was never taught, so it seems a bit weird to me. When given a choice, I always park in the garage. When I lived in Maryland, I picked which Metro station to start at for my journey into DC based on the availability of a parking garage. I think our garage at work is awesome. It has a great view of a construction project! Once I saw a bat in it! My claim is that you're more likely to get hit by a car than attacked by a stranger because of the large number undergraduates who aren't watching where they're driving. And this morning this shows up on a former student's Twitter feed.

At my old job (the tenure-track job that I quit) I was hit by a car while I was walking to the distant surface lot, and I was surprised to learn that the on-campus surface lot was on the site of a former parking garage that was taken down because it was deemed "too dangerous."