Monday, February 08, 2010

Tales from Monday

  1. Sick. Losing my voice. Teaching lecture hall calculus with no voice is a challenge.

  2. At the beginning of class today, I showed the students the exam with the details blacked out CIA-style. At the end of class some students who showed up late asked to see the exam. No. (It's the first exam in calculus. Limits and derivatives.)

  3. Emailed the stats prof with a question about a homework problem that is due Thursday. He says that he'll do it in class tomorrow. Win-win-win. As it is an even problem, I can not back-solve it from the answer in the back of the book.

  4. Stats book has answers to the odds in the back! So I run some sort of test with the software, see if I recognize any numbers, and then write up clear responses based on sound statistical and mathematical techniques. And I include more decimal places than the back of the book.

  5. Worksheet today in the afternoon class, as I don't have to talk as much if they do a worksheet.

  6. Talked to a science teacher on the phone today to get more insight about a few of the applicants. I think I might be calling more science teachers once I can talk again. My pile is down to a size that I am comfortable with.

  7. Looks like I will be spending spring break in Ithaca, NY.