More Tales from Cambridge, MA
- Giant fungus growing out of the hardwood floor in allegedly climate-controlled room. And somehow we are being blamed for the giant fungus. It is about 1.5 feet across. I am told that it is probably edible. There are smaller, satellite fungi nearby.
- One of my coworkers has a solution to everything: She'll show up at lab wearing a mini-skirt and high heels and ask a (male) post-doc to help.
- Very awesome conference friend (famous dude) got in touch with me today because he's worried about someone I work with. He explained that one of his (unofficial? official?) jobs is to talk to students who are thinking about dropping out of MIT, and I think the implication is that he sees a lot of commonalities between this situation and that of many potential drop-outs.
- I wonder what the people at the bank think about my continuing to withdraw large amounts of money all in cash.
- Making progress with stuff from work. Unfortunately, not everything that I need is installed yet, and when I try to install a local copy, it complains that it can't find the headers that it wants. Not sure which person to ask about this. On the bright side, I did find someone to answer one of my other questions.
- Over-exaggerated what I've gotten done this week. Need to work on that.
- Went to a talk here in Cambridge the other day. No one from the regular group volunteered to talk at the next session, so I volunteered to give a talk. Not sure if that was a good idea. As it's likely to be pretty similar to what I'm talking about at the conference in August, it probably is a good idea. But if someone from the regular group volunteers, then I'll be off the hook.
- After all this time with no a/c, 80F seems cool.
- I am about ready to protect my water bottle from microorganisms by adding a bit of vodka to the contents.