Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My Conversation with Capital One

I called the 1-800 number on the sticker on my new credit card to activate it.

CapitalOne: I see that you are the only person on this account. We recommend adding additional people to the account so that if you're in the hospital or something else bad happens to you then someone else can use your credit card to take care of everything. Are they any people who you would like to add to the account?

Me: No, thank you.

CapitalOne: Identity theft is the fastest increasing crime. Can I ask how often you check your credit reports?

Me: I'd prefer not to discuss my financial decisions with you.

Me [INSIDE MY HEAD]: If someone commits fraud with my credit card, I'm only liable for the first $50.

CapitalOne: Do you have any further questions for me?

Me: How can I get the money from the rewards that I've earned?

CapitalOne [PARAPHRASED]: You need to jump through hoops on the web page and/or call a different toll free number. And that's just the first step.