Sunday, July 10, 2011

Settings that Social Networks Might Have

  1. I am interested in what you are doing and would like to share what I am doing with you.

  2. I know who you are, but you don't know or care who I am. However, I would like to know what you are up to. (The setting for collecting celebrity news and companies' loyalty discounts.)

  3. Apparently you find me interesting. Here, look at something/nothing/everything.

  4. I don't mind you using my profile on the social networking site to find my phone number, but I have zero interest in what you had for breakfast.

  5. You are the math nerds who I know, so I want to tell you about math; you are the knitting nerds I know, so I want to tell you about yarn. Other people can hunt this information down if they want to.

  6. You are the math nerds who I know, so I want to tell you about math; you are the knitting nerds I know, so I want to tell you about yarn. Other people would run in horror from sheaf cohomology or from knowing how much I paid for that yarn. This must be kept from them. (Unless you take a screen shot and betray my wishes.)

  7. The Very Special Constituents. The People You Should Not Be Talking To.

  8. I have a question. I have an announcement. I want to spam this out to invade on my friends' experience with the site.

  9. I am stalking you. I want to be informed about everything that you do.

  10. I think that this is cool. You can subscribe to this content if you think it's cool, too.

  11. Sometimes I think that you have neat things to say. I want to see some of it, sometimes.

  12. Please leave me alone. You are dead to me on this site. I do not exist for you.

What other modes have you seen or wished for?