Monday, September 19, 2011

My Days with Young People

  1. Today I talked to high school students. Dressed (reasonably) normal. Gave my off-the-cuff talk on omg, computers are so cool. This is another benefit of being opposed to wordy slides: If you just throw some random science images at the screen, you can say whatever you think of at the time.

  2. So my talk today was to a group of all girl high school students. I still don't know what I think of all of this special effort for girls stuff. I gave the same talk that I would have given to any group of nerdy high school students. All of this "special for [some group]" stuff sort of irks me because in my experience the special version is sort of dumbed down.

  3. Still flailing with my freshmen. I can not figure out how to get them to care enough about the material for them to talk in class. It doesn't help that class is from 3:35 - 4:25 in the afternoon. Yet, if I could figure out how to make them have strong opinions, I think that they would talk more. I have guest speakers coming this week, so I have another week in which to sort this out and make the material more engaging for them.